July 14, 1911

All big days are apt to come to Milton on Tuesday and we cannot get the report of its doings until the next week. Such was the case on the last Fourth of July; and what we have to say must be said this week—or a week later. It has been said it was very quiet on the “Fourth.” Well that depends from which point it is viewed. Truly there was nothing very stirring in Milton on that day, but it was far from quiet. The competitive races at Jester’s Park, and on the lake, were a feature of the morning. There was jolly and excited mirth and pleasure galore. Baseball in the afternoon, and the selling of tags were all for the benefit of the M. E. Church Organ Fund, as were also the exercises of the evening, which were held on the church lawn, and consisted of speeches etc., with the selling of refreshments, and other delicacies. About $70 was cleared. Now we don’t think this was a very “quiet” affair to anyone who was actively engaged in it.

President Sheridan of the Maryland Annual M. P. Conference has made the following announcements of ministers to be at Lavinia Camp, commencing August 4th, and continuing until August 14th. First week-J. M. Holmes, L. A. Bennett, G. R. Stocksdale. J. T. Bailey; Second week: A. S. Beane, H. L. Schlinche, A. H. Green, W. B. Roberts.

The shirt and overall factory is so badly in need of operatives that it solicits women to take work to their homes, where it is not convenient for them to come to the factory.

Many cedar posts are being shipped from the railroad station to the northern markets.

Anderson s new cannery is under cover.

Samuel Fithian has a quantity of men at work on his brick building. The first set of floor joists are on.

Captain George E. Megee has removed his sawmill from the Morris tract of land to his own farm, at Cherry Land in Cave Neck.

Miss Lillie Megee has bought of George Warrington two acres of land east of town on which she proposes to build a residence.

Captain Louis Darby, of Philadelphia, spent the Fourth in Milton.

Mrs. Elizabeth Chandler is visiting Rehoboth.

Miss Laura Willey and Albert Tucker were married at the Methodist Protestant Parsonage, by the Rev. Frank Holland, on Sunday morning, July 2nd.

A mad cow, belonging to William Warrington, of Cave Neck, was killed last week. She was supposed to have been bitten by a strange dog that performed sundry evolutions, in that locality some time ago.

“Bloomer” Walls, aged 85 years, has shaved off his whiskers, the first time in many years.

The street from the railroad station is being graveled by Supervisor Mustard. The material is being hauled from the county quarry at Gravelly Hill. This bids fair to be a first-class street when completed.

London Nelson, the enterprising colored man on Lavinia Street, near the town’s limits, has had a pump driven.

Thomas Ingram, a veteran of the Civil War, is badly crippled up with rheumatism, and during this hot weather sits on his front porch and amuses himself by killing flies. He has a stick with a flap fastened to one end of it, and as the flies pitch on the rail of the porch he spats them. Passing by on Saturday we inquired: “How many to-day, Tom?” “1100” he answered, “and at four cents a hundred I have made forty-four cents.”

On account of the train missing connection at Ellendale on Saturday evening the mail expected here at that time did not materialize until Sunday noon.

It has been decided to repaint the M. P. Church. Joseph Morris, J. A. Betts, and William G. Fearing have been appointed a committee to look after the job.

The “privileges” of Lavinia Camp will be sold on Saturday afternoon, the 15th, on the corner opposite S. J. Wilson’s store; and on the 22d the camp meeting committee will go to the ground to clean up things generally.

An excursion under the auspices of the M. P. Sunday School, will go to Rehoboth on the 25th inst. It will be so arranged that those wishing may remain on the beach until 9 o’clock p. m.; those otherwise inclined may return home by an earlier train.

Miss Edith Wilson, of Philadelphia, is visiting her mother, and will remain until after the camp meeting.

A fire was started on Wednesday, supposedly from the sparks of a locomotive, in the woods of James and Miss Ida Ponder, between Milton and Ellendale, and is not yet entirely extinguished. The tract contains over 1,200 acres of timber land, and about 400 have been burned. The damage is said to tie but little in money worth, as the part burnt has been recently cut off, and that destroyed has mostly been the refuse of the recent cutting. On Thursday the flames became so threatening, particularly to Charles Jackson’s residence that the Milton Fire Engine was sent for. The engine went under the direction of Supervisor Mustard, and did what good it could, arriving back after 12 o’clock that night. The building was saved and all other dwellings contiguous to the fire.

Possibly the hottest weather of many as experienced last week. On Wednesday according to J. B. Welch, the thermometer at his drug store, registered 108° from the heat. We have heard of no casualties from the heat. On Friday we had a shift of wind, a little rain and a slight change of temperature, but it is still hot, O, so hot, and so dry.

We met a man a few days ago from the swamps and during the conversation he remarked: “This dry weather is the very thing for us; we have the prospect for a big corn crop if it continues.”

Mrs. Oscar Betts is convalescing from her recent trouble.

Mrs. Famie Davis and son, of Philadelphia, are the guest of her parents, Mr. and Mrs. Eli L. Collins.

Religious services were held on the lawn near the M. H. Church on Sunday evening. These meetings may be continued indefinitely—on Sunday evenings—when the weather will permit.

Excavation began on Monday for another brick building adjoining the one being erected by Samuel Fithian, on South Union Street. The dimensions 20x70ft and one story. The owners will be Oliver Hazzard and Charles Virden.

The foundation for Charles Virden’s large warehouse is being laid on the site of the one destroyed by fire.

Edward Walls is painting his house.

Mrs. Nehemiah Walls is quite sick.

James Smith has secured the position of electrician for the Milton Light and Power Company, and will reside at the plant s headquarters-Ingram s Mill.

Joseph Walls, one of Milton’s butchers, while driving around the county, stopped and hitched his horse, a valuable road driver, at Lincoln, on Wednesday. Charles Windsor’s auto was coming by on high speed and—as Mr. Walls says—the chauffeur would not slow down, although being signaled to do so. The horse became frightened, reared and landed on a post, injuring it so badly that it died the next day.

Della F., wife of Nathan Young, died at the home of her father, Sewel Whaley, on Saturday of blood poison. Age 17 years and 16 days. Funeral at Chapel Church on Sunday afternoon by Rev. Blackston, and interment at Hickory by S. J. Wilson.

Bateman Shockley arrived in town in the early afternoon of Monday. Someone said “we shall have a change of weather now, Bateman has arrived.” And it actually did rain in two hours thereafter.