September 27, 1901

The question of purchasing a fire engine is again in agitation in Milton. Town Council met on Thursday evening to discuss the propriety of buying one of the Howe Chemical Combination pattern and decided if the company would bring the engine to Milton at its own expense and give it a fair test, Council would call a meeting of the citizens by a vote whether the engine should be purchased. The engine with the necessary paraphernalia for putting out fire can be bought for $875. That the town needs some kind of apparatus for putting out fire, no one can deny; that Council is right in its hesitancy in dealing with something it, nor the rest of us, know anything about, is to be approved. It is presumed the Howe Company is a business firm; and being such, it is not likely it will accept the proposition made by Town Council and depend upon the whim of people to decide affirmatively the question of purchase. In our opinion, it is not likely we will get an engine soon under these conditions

The Sussex Trust Title and Safe Deposit Co., which was to have awarded the contract for building its bank, in this town, on Saturday, for reasons unavoidable laid that business over until Tuesday (to-day). The bank will be built on the lot recently purchased from the Coverdale heirs, and situated on Federal Street.

Steamer Massapequa, Capt. Bowers, has left Milton for Trenton, N. J. It is to be deplored that the season has been an unsuccessful one to Captain Bowers; but the fact in, the boat did not suit. Milton wants a boat to run directly to the city, and not one to be used as a feeder.

A brick crossing has been laid near the A. M. E. Church in North Milton.

Conwell & Co., the tomato shippers from this point, have been doing a large business this season. Up to Saturday they had shipped 19 cars containing 11,240 baskets of tomatoes, and had paid for the same $2,587.35, an average of 23¼ cents per basket. Tomatoes have paid the farmers well this year. They have fluctuated in price, at times bringing as much as 29 cents per basket, at other times as low as 10.

On Sunday a part of a box of pistol cartridges were picked up in front of Barber Megee’s office. This looks as though concealed weapons are carried by someone; and it is hardly to be doubted that many of them are carried by the young men and lads of the town. Look out, young men! for if ’Squire Collins becomes aware of the fact, you will be dealt with to the full extent of the law.

Schooner Golden Rule is unloading a carload of coal for Isaac Nailor.

Mr. John Wilson, who has been quite ill for many weeks, is now able to be out, although he shows the effect of confinement within doors.

Some of the sidewalks on Federal St, are in a miserable condition. So bad are they, that during and after the heavy rains of last week pedestrians were compelled to walk on the street instead of wading on the sidewalk. This matter should engage the attention of the Town Fathers. It is not right that some should be compelled to keep up their sidewalks, while others do as they please with impunity.

Large quantities of cedar posts are being shipped from our station to northern markets by Captain Carey Palmer.

The Milton Public Schools will open next Monday, the 30th inst. Prof. C. B. Morris, who is to take charge of these schools, was in town last week looking over the situation.

Since the death of the lamented President McKinley, W. W. Conwell, manager of the bank, has had his office draped in black, as has also Postmaster Manship the post office. A picture of the President hanging in the office, is wreathed with a miniature “Old Glory,” around which is draped the insignia of mourning. On Thursday, about the time the funeral services were being held at Canton, the bell of the church was tolled for a time. No other service was held.

Mrs. Susie B. Davidson, who has been visiting her parents, returned to Wilmington on Friday. She will return to Milton the latter part of the month and take charge of the school at Williams.

On Thursday evening Miss Maggie Jester and Mr. Hamilton C. Davidson took a ride to Harbeson. There the Rev. Frank Holland did a little talking, and they returned to Milton. Mrs. Jester, mother of Miss Maggie, had heard of the ride; and on the following morning she questioned her daughter: “Maggie, are you married?” And Maggie, with a merry twinkle in her eye, replied: “Indeed I am.”

Mr. J. H. Davidson, contractor and builder, is building a dwelling house for Mr. Lythen Black on his farm nearby.

We are sorry to hear of the very unfortunate condition of our brother correspondent “Paul Pry,” regarding his eyesight. We are always interested in his correspondence, and have missed his letters much of late. We know what it is ourself to labor under the disadvantage of an impaired eyesight, and hope our friend’s misfortune may speedily be removed.

Captain James Bennum, pilot of the steamer Republic, having finished his summer’s work, has returned home.

Smock peaches have been selling through town at 25 cents per basket to private families for canning purposes.

Mr. Edwin Johnson, engaged at railroading near Philadelphia, returned to Milton on Friday evening and will remain with his family for a few days.

Mr. Edward Vaughn, of Middletown, is visiting his mother and sister.

The Nassau baseball team and the Milton team played a game here on Saturday. Result: Unknown to the writer.

We seldom visit a baseball ground, and are unacquainted with the nomenclature of the game. It has its fascination for many, and it is for those to enjoy the sport. Our mania leads us in other directions.

At Harbeson on Thursday evening, Miss Laura Abbott was united in marriage with Mr. Charles Donovan. Rev. Frank Holland performed the ceremony. The bride lives near the Drawbridge, the groom near Milton.

During the past week J. C. Hazzard has been surveying around and near the railroad. This is done under the direction of Georgetown attorneys preliminary to entering suit against the Queen Anne Company for the killing of John Reed at the Federal Street crossing some time ago.

George Hopkins, of Coolspring, who was seriously hurt on the 7th of the present month, while returning from Lewes to his home, was conveyed to the Jefferson Medical Hospital on Monday. Mr. Hopkins’ condition is serious, and we are informed that all of the Lewes physicians have been in attendance on him. He is paralyzed from the neck downward over the whole body. As we understand it, the pressure of the cervical vertebrae upon the spinal cord is giving him the most trouble. Dr. W. J. Hearn was to see the afflicted man on Saturday, and while he does not think he can be cured, he is of the opinion that his sufferings and affliction may be mitigated by an operation on the spinal-vertebrae, and advised his removal to the hospital.

Mrs. Sallie V., wife of Wm. A. Dutton, died on Sunday of typhoid fever, aged 43 years, 5 months and 9 days. Funeral services at White’s Chapel, on Tuesday afternoon, the Rev. J. T. Outten officiating, and interment in the adjacent cemetery. S. J. Wilson funeral director.

Annie P. Ennis, relict of the late David Ennis, died at her home near Harbeson on Monday, of general debility, aged 79 years, 10 months, and 23 days. The funeral services were conducted by the Rev Frank Holland at her late home on Wednesday, and interment made in the Presbyterian Cemetery at Coolspring. S. J. Wilson directed the funeral.

On Monday evening Miss Mary Maull gave a social in honor of her guest Miss Ella Maull, of Lewes. There were many of the young ladies of Milton present, and all enjoyed themselves.