August 29, 1902

A carpenter when about completing a job of work, does what he calls “squaring up,” that is, he goes around and fixes up all the “odds and ends” that may require his attention. Now, we do not want our readers to become surfeited with camp meeting news, but we want to do a little “squaring up,” and then we shall have done with the camp meeting until another season. On last Sunday, two weeks after the last Sunday of Lavinia‘s camp, we, as a usual custom, walked out to view the scene where many had been a fortnight before. Alas! how changed. Quiet and desolation reigned around. Our mind was led back to the historical account of the abandoned huts of the five aboriginal tribes of New York[i], in the primitive days of this country. “Carlyle’s Description of Desolation in the Arctic,” rose before us, and led to a contemplation that was anything but pleasant. There was no claiming of icebergs, no scream of the sea gull, no sly polar bear trying to catch the innocent seal, but there was a solitude peculiarly adapted to this place. The foliage of the trees drooped as though weeping over departed glory, and two little birds chirruped over our head as a doxology to the vision of the past. It is all gone now, yet some of the reminders linger in the memory of many who were there, and who will probably never be there again—this is the aged, and most likely others.

Last week we saw six dogs come from Lavinia’s Woods in single file. I turned around to watch them. They were of different sizes, colors, and perhaps nationalities. One was lame, and walked with a limp; another was merely a pup. They were without muzzles; and my impression at first was, they had come without the town limits where they could engage in friendly discourse, “none daring to molest or make them afraid.” They continued their way south, and we lost sight of them.

“There is $2 thrown away!” said a man, as he came front the post office with two local papers in his hand. “I get more information from your letter in the MILFORD CIIRONICLE than from all of the papers I take; and I don’t see any use of me taking any other.”

We saw something last week that led us to think the days were come “when the lion and the lamb shall lie down together, and a little child should lead them.” We will not elucidate, as others saw it, also.

It begins to look as though the Lewes Life Insurance agents are getting the better of the Milton agents: they are here every week hustling, while the Milton men are around the branch practicing.

Mrs. Ray lrvin nee Ray Wilkins, formerly of Milton, after spending a week at Lewes, stopped over with Mrs. Emma Johnson, at Milton, on Wednesday evening and returned to her Baltimore home on Thursday.

Mr. Al Thomas left on Thursday for Chicago, where he has the prospect of engaging with the Q. C. R. R. Co.

Peaches on one day of the past week were hauled from the Milton station to Ellendale, on account of no cars to be had.

Col. John Wainwright, pension attorney at Wilmington, was in town on Thursday, and met many old veterans of the Civil War at the office of the Trust, Title, Safe and Deposit Co, for the purpose of having their pensions increased, original ones granted, or reissues made.

Quite a quantity of squared-up lumber is being hauled on the dock, for the purpose of shipment to Camden, N. j., where it will be used for ties along the wharf, and for other purposes.

Clerk-of-the-Peace Wright was in town on Thursday, at which time he issued licenses to the Milton merchants and others requiring the same.

Mr. A. Prettyman and wife, after spending some time with Mrs. Prettyman’s parents, Prof. P. P. and Mrs. Atkins, returned to Baltimore on Friday.

Mr. Abel Pettyjohn, of Philadelphia, is visiting his parents as is also Mr. Hollis P. Betts visiting friends.

On Saturday the schooner James A. Carey, of which Charles Mason is captain, and Captain C. H. Atkins owner, was successfully launched at Scull’s shipyard. The vessel had been hauled out some time ago and has been overhauled, repainted and re-rigged. She is now considered a first-class vessel.

The Milton shirt factory labors under difficulties on account of the scarcity of employees. Operators and learners are wanted.

Six mail sacks filled with public developments—averaging thirty each—were received at the Milton office last week. Some of these are addressed to persons, living, who will take them from the office and kindle a fire with them. Some of them are addressed to persons who have been dead ten years, and still others to persons whom no one in this township ever heard of. The only use these public documents are in this locality, is to give the postmaster work, as it is presumed that is for what they are intended. “That’s the way the money goes!” But what’s the difference, “Jones pays the freight.”

George Burris, the overseer of the road leading to the saw mill waste gates, has nicely widened the passageway leading to the bridge, and made it possible for teams to pass. It needs to be seen to be admired.

Captain George Bailey and family, of near Seaford, are visiting Mr. and Mrs. Joshua Bailey, the former’s parents.

On Thursday evening Mr. Marvie T. Warrington, and Miss Mamie Dorman, both of Harbeson, were united in wedlock by the Rev. Frank A. Holland. The ceremony was performed at the residence of Mr. Charles B. Davidson, of the same town.

A young man after delivering his girl at Zoar camp last Sunday, yelled out “trout! trout!” He is thought to be a fish dealer.

On account of the dry weather and the sandy condition of the roads, G. W. Atkins left his teams at Queenstown on Friday last and returned home by rail. After transacting needed business in Milton, he returned to Queenstown on Monday to resume his business trip on the Eastern Shore.

Last week the “Argus eyed” town fathers concluded they had more money in the treasury than they could manage; and they decided to haul more dirt on the hill on Federal Street. They went to work and put on the hill, and above, and on the decline, dirt; or more correctly, earth of an argillaceous consistency. Travel, the hot sun, and dry winds, have made of this deposit a powdered mass; and the citizens on Federal Street near this nuisance, are compelled to keep their front screens out, their windows closed, and their shutters shut, to keep this yellow dust from their beds, and from permeating every nook and corner of their habitations. Yet these men who have this work in charge know it all (?).

Dr. W. J. Hearn’s launch was removed front Milton to Broadkiln Beach last week.

The evening services at the M. E. Church, which have been held during the summer at 6 o’clock, were discontinued last Sabbath evening. Evening services will hereafter begin at 7.30.

Peaches are about done at Milton.

Tomatoes are now bringing 20 cents and baskets returned to the seller.

One of the tubes of the boiler at Anderson’s cannery blew out early on Tuesday morning, necessitating the stoppage of work until it can be replaced.

The utility of the air gun when used by small children was demonstrated on Tuesday, when Walter Crouch’s little son sliced a portion of one of his thumbs longitudinally while using one. The wound proved not to be so bad as at first thought, and Dr. J. A. Hopkins soon made it comfortable.


[i] Conner is probably referring to the initial five tribes of the Iroquois Confederacy in New York State: Cayuga, Mohawk, Oneida, Onondaga, and Seneca. A sixth tribe, the Tuscarora, was added to the confederacy later.