February 28, 1902

Years hence the youth of today, may look back in memory, to the winter of 1901—02, as, perhaps, the worst in the annals of many years. Particularly has the 1902 part of the present winter been remarkable; as has the last week been notable. Our last communication ended on Tuesday, at which time a general blockade prevailed throughout the country roads leading to Milton.

The mail had to be carried to the station for several days on a “jumper,” and that received here has been late during the week, more especially at night. No noon mail on Saturday. On Wednesday the highways became somewhat broken. People were trying to get around. Mr. G. W. Atkins and wife, intending, if possible, to visit Mr. William Mason—Mrs. Atkins’ brother—managed to get to the station in a sleigh, finding that the road beyond was impassable, they turned and drove parallel with the railroad east, in order to reach the saw mill road, by which they might also reach Mr. Mason’s residence. We, some of us at least, know that snow, even the “beautiful snow,” is sometimes treacherous. Mr. Atkins and his companion found it so. For in driving along the railroad track the snow appeared beautifully white and level; but its appearance was as seductive as the “song of the Siren“ Suddenly one runner was on the embankment, the other in the gutter along the track: the equilibrium being destroyed, the sleigh was capsized. Mr. [several paragraphs obscured here]….

…has an effect on the temperature of a person.

The bad weather has balked many things that were to have taken place last week. The temperance lecture that was to have taken place at the M. E. Church on Friday evening, was declared off; the entertainment of the Volunteer Fire Company, which was scheduled for Saturday evening, has been postponed until this (Wednesday) evening; the inclemency of the elements precluded the possibility of a display in honor of the birthday of Washington, and other matters of less importance are numbered among the things that were not.

A social was held at-the M. E. Parsonage on Wednesday evening of last week, which is said to-have been a most enjoyable affair and participated in by many of the ladies and friends of the church.

Winfield Wright has sold his sawmill to Edward Reynolds, who will supply the people of town with fire wood, as Mr. Wright has been doing heretofore. It is said Mr. Reynolds will ship wood cut into stove length to Lewes by carload.

James H. Warrington has repaired and repapered his store room.

That portion of the Burton Block, which will at the first of the coming month be occupied by Messrs. Mason and Morris as a general store, is being arranged by carpenters and painters for its new occupants.

The anniversary of the Missionary Society of the M. E. Sunday School will be held in the church on next Sunday evening.

The country schools that have been closed for the past week, reopened on Monday.

Rev H. S. Johnson preached a sermon to the Red Men on Sunday morning.

Our town election will be held on Saturday afternoon. There is some interest already being manifested on-‘-the result. Certain it is there, there should be business men elected to manage the town affairs. Men who are competent to manage their own business will be the right kind of men who handle municipal business. Let all voters turn out on Saturday and vote for whom they think are the best men.

William D. Norwood, a well-to-do farmer, died at his home at Bell Town near Lewes, on Wednesday of dropsy, aged 81 years, 8 months and 2 days. Funeral on Sunday at. A. M. E. Church and interment at Israel Cemetery. S. J. Wilson funeral director.

Buzzards are made so tame by hunger that they alight in the yards of the town and eat any offal that may be thrown out.

The social that was to have been held at the residence of Mrs. Lucy Atkins on Friday evening, has been laid over until the evening of March 4th.

A temperance lecture will be delivered at the M. E. Church on Thursday evening.

Charles Marker is quite ill with pneumonia.

James Ellingsworth is suffering with pleurisy. Christian Jensen’s disease, which was at first pneumonia and partial paralysis, has developed into inflammatory rheumatism.

Several of the shirt factory employees, as well as some of the school children, are off duty on account of sickness—mostly colds.

On account of the rain on Tuesday, several persons, who had intended to attend the Union Republican meeting at Georgetown, were deterred from going.