June 10, 1904

In these days of scientific thought, a person has no business, who has no business. By this we mean to say there are no facilities for loafers, or gentlemen of leisure, around Milton, No store has a chair for a “hanger on,” there is no place in the town that wants your company, except you be a female or a hotel lounger. Not everyone who desires to be seen lounging around a hotel, and yet it must be admitted that the hotel presents the best accommodations, not only for the traveler, but for the man about town. We refer to the Milton hotel, and not the saloon.

The school at Harbeson was closed last Friday, and Mr. Warn is at home here in Milton.

Mrs. Jeanie Waples, wife of Edgar Waples, died at her home in Lewes and Rehoboth District on Friday last, aged 38 years, 5 months and 6 days. The funeral services were held at the Ebenezer Church on Saturday, and S. J. Wilson made interment in the adjoining cemetery.

At the Democratic primaries held here last Saturday, James Palmer, E., W. Warren and Wm. Welch were chosen as delegates.

Children’s Day services were held at the M. E. Church last Sunday.

Captain Richard Steelman died at his home near Harbeson on Tuesday morning. The funeral services were held on Thursday and the remains sent to Pleasantville, N. J., of which place he was a native. For thirty years past he had been engaged in the charcoal business in Sussex County.

A large part of Miltonians spent last Sunday at Rehoboth.

Wilbur Hunter was in Milton last Friday and gad a carriage wheel smashed by a team owned by Mr. Wagamon. It was an accident.

The steamer Mary M. Vinyard is carrying goodly cargoes of freight at every trip.

It is purposed to have a pier built off Slaughter Beach and make that one of her regular stops.

David H. Atkins, a former resident of Milton, Del., died very suddenly on Friday afternoon last while at work in the shipyard of Jackson & Sharp plant of the American Car and Foundry Company at Wilmington, Del., where he was employed. He was 62 years old and heart disease is supposed to have been the cause of his death.

Mr. Atkins had been a builder of coasting vessels at Milton, but the demand for this class of vessels falling off he went to that city in 1888. He became foreman in the shipyard of Colonel Enoch Moore.

In 1885 while resident of Milton Mr. Atkins became interested in politics and was elected to the Legislature. He was a Democrat and strong supporter of Democratic principles. He is survived by a widow, one son and one daughter.