August 18, 1905

On last Friday William Conwell, who has been the lonely occupant of Lavinia’s camp ground for many weeks, gave peaceable position to the Milton Camp Meeting Committee until the 27th of the present month. Although the camp nominally began on Friday, it did not get into working order until Sunday morning. At that time the Rev. G. J. Hooker, M. P. minister of Milton, who has charge of the camp, opened the service with an old-fashioned Methodist experience meeting. This was followed by a sermon by the Rev. C. M. Yepp, of Hurlocks, Md. In the afternoon the Rev. R. L. Shipley, of Baltimore, attempted to preach, but was interrupted by a heavy shower of rain. He, however, finished his sermon when the rain had ceased falling. The same gentleman preached in the evening. Good order has prevailed thus far, and while this is not altogether owing to the efficiency of Dr. Leonard, as supervisor of his department, he bears no inconsequential part in his relation to the whole. The camp at Zoar has called a few of our citizens—former residents of near that ground—to that grove, but there are enough people to furnish all the camp meetings hereabout.

Capt. William Megee is a visitor at Milton camp; and a working one.

On Tuesday evening, the 8th, at the M. P. parsonage, by the Rev., G., J, Hooker, Miss Lydia H., Dutton was joined in matrimony with Mr. William P. Johnson. The wedding was to have taken place on Sunday evening preceding, but “pater familias,” as well as the brother of the intended, opposed the match, and it is said the latter accompanied his sister to the Sand Hill camp meeting on that evening and kept a strict surveillance over her. Whether there was a reconciliation or not, deponent doth not say. The marriage took place, however, as stated. This is the second “shirt factory girl” married with the last two weeks, and the fifth during the present year. The Douglass, White C., is still taking on women employees.

J. A. Anderson, of Havre-de-Grace, Md., with his wife and child are stopping with W. G. Fearing and wife. Mr. Anderson is here in the interest of the canning business. He operates the river cannery.

A carload of cans and boxes was received at the river cannery last week.

The Harbeson cannery has commenced to can corn and small fruits. Corn is being hauled through Milton for that purpose.

Last Thursday was “Big Thursday” on Broadkiln Beach, and many people went from town to enjoy the pleasure at the bay shore. A considerable rain came on in the afternoon, and many of the happy ones got wet.

George Fowler, of Philadelphia, nephew of J. B. Welch, was the guest of that gentleman last week.

The river cannery commenced work with a few contracted tomatoes on Saturday. The contract price is ten cents a basket.

A number of Bohemians came from Baltimore to the Milton Station on Saturday. There were four wagons that carried them to Harbeson to work in the cannery there.

Edward Bacon has removed from Milton to Laurel, where Mrs. Bacon has been engaged as one of the teachers in the public schools.

Joseph Brittingham, of Cave Neck, an employee at Lofland’s Brick Manufacturing Works, was knocked down and run over by a hand-car on Saturday, disabling his right ankle. He was brought to the office of Dr. J. A. Hopkins when, after examination, the doctor pronounced no bones broken, and made the young man as comfortable as possible.

William Dodd, of Cave Neck, had two horses that developed some unknown malady–perhaps old age. Last week one of them died, and on Saturday he knocked the other on the head.

On Saturday evening a jolly party from Philadelphia came to Milton on a pleasure trip, to wit: Captain John Fisher, Captain George Kimmey, Captain Robert McBride, and Captain Samuel Smith. Saturday and Sunday they spent around the town maturing their future plans. A fishing party down the Broadkiln, and a trip to the beach was decided on. On Monday morning the naphtha launch Cornelius was pressed into commission, and stored up and steamed up for the voyage. The above named party chaperoned by Captain James Darby, entered the launch which was under the command of Dr. R. T. .Wilson, captain, and Dr. R. B. Hopkins, engineer. The party then steamed gaily down the Broadkiln. Before leaving town the captains each bought a jumper and a pair of overalls to don when they would arrive at the fishing ground. But Captain Smith insisted on putting his on before leaving; and he did. Captain Smith is a remarkable funnyman. Captain Fisher was wearing a pair of white canvas shoes; two discard these he borrowed a pair of rubber boots, which he put on after boarding the yacht. Now much was expected from this outing by this party. As they disappeared down the Broadkiln, the eastward wind and somber clouds drew the captain, and they were lost to our view. It is reported they had a jolly time. When their return they had one catfish, and the most remarkable thing about the whole matter is, they were all sober.

Bailiff Dickinson’s horse took fright on Friday while stone was being loaded on the wagon, and ran up Federal Street, but did no damage. There has been some talk of having the bailiff arrested, but no action has as yet been taken.

William Megee, machinist of Wilmington, is visiting his mother and sister.

William T. Parker, a former Milton merchant, but now doing business in New York City, is visiting his sister and Milton friends.

Some of the younger preachers at Lavinia’s Camp amuse themselves at their dull times by catching water lilies from along the margin of Lake Fanganzyki. One Baltimore minister appears to have “been there before.” He cuts a long pole with a prong at the little end. This he runs out under the lily, and giving it a twist, “presto!” the lily comes.