May 5, 1905

For the second time in two weeks, sparks from a locomotive on the Queen Anne’s railroad have set fire to the woods at Lavinia’s Camp Ground. On Tuesday afternoon the people of Milton had a tough tussle with the flames and succeeded in saving the tents, but two young trees were blackened and considerable undergrowth ruined.

On the property of N. W. White there is the prettiest field of cabbage to be found in Sussex County. It is now ready to head, and was grown from winter hardened plants set at the first open spell of weather early in March. His field of peas and other truck are the handsomest about Milton.

The steam yacht, Ralph Welch, which caught on the banks of the river and sank, has been reached.

Several new lamps have been added to the street lighting equipment this week.

A large lot of piling is on the docks here waiting for shipment to Philadelphia.

Birds are destroying the early peas in Milton Gardens.

Bessie W. Reynolds died at the home of her parents, Mr. and Mrs. Nehemiah Reynolds, of Coolspring, Delaware, on Friday, April 28, 1905. She was 17 years, four months and 14 days old, and the funeral was held at White’s Chapel Tuesday afternoon. Rev. Crompton preached the funeral sermon and S. J. Wilson was the undertaker. She was a granddaughter of William Reed, of Ellendale, and an earnest worker in the church, frequently praying in public with eloquence for one of her age.

The meadow at the Wagamon Mills has been drained, and is being prepared for cultivation.

The steamer Mary M. Vinyard will resume trip soon; the repairs will be completed in about two weeks.

R. Davis Carey and sister, accompanied by their nephew, are occupying their homestead here for a time.

A new blacksmith shop has been built by Irving King at the corner of Chestnut and Wharton Streets.

Porches have been built on two sides of the Wagamon Mills this week, and part of the old building that stands at the north end of the mill dam has been sold by them to Captain Thomas Johnson, who will remove it. The remainder will be turned around for a back building for a new front to be built.

A suit was brought before Esquire Collins by Theodore Reed, a former merchant of Lewes, against John W. Marshall, of that place, to recover a store bill of $16.22. Judgment was given for that amount. Mr. Marshall plead the act of limitation, but it was shown that dealings have been made within the three years.

Milton’s Town Council is again in trouble; this time with the Levy Court over the annual allowance made for maintenance of the highways.

J. C. Clendaniel is building a pretty picket fence in front of the Abbott property in South Milton.

Dr. Hopkins has built a small home near his other property at Parker’s Bridge.

Captain Lacey is home at present.

Miss Lizzie Simmons, of Dagsboro, is visiting her sister, Mrs. Wagamon.