March 23, 1906

March, true to its proverbial character, since its advent, has been giving us some weather. Possibly, it has been worse than either of the winter months in its fluctuations, which may redound to much good in the production of a fruit crop. Saint Patrick’s Day, in the morning came in with the tenth snowfall of the season. This, however was light, and by 8 o’clock a. m., the sun was shining from a clear sky, and the wind blowing a stiff breeze from the northwest. And so the day continued.

On Saturday evening Town Council reappointed David Dickerson town bailiff, supervisor of the streets, and lamplighter for another year, at a salary of $255 per annum. Mr. Dickerson has had the position for some time, and makes as good an officer, as perhaps, the town could get. At least, he has the advantage of the experience that training can give, and that amounts to much.

On Sunday morning the M. E. Auditorium was so cool that many left the room at the close of the service, in a shivering condition; and those who took their overcoats off on entering were glad to get them on again.

Mrs. Virgie Conner spent Monday with her parents, Mr. and Mrs. Henry Warren at Ellendale.

Rev. C. A. Behringer, besides attending to his ministerial work, proposes to do some trucking this year. He has rented two acres of ground, near where he lives, and expects to raise vegetables etc., “for his own use,” as he remarked.

John Mustard, who is employed in Philadelphia, is visiting his family.

J. Clarence Lank has been elected, by the Levy Court, collector for the tenth representative district, which comprises Broadkiln and Lewes & Rehoboth Hundreds. Horace Lockerman has been elected by the same body bridge tender, at Drawbridge, at a salary of $50.00 per annum.

On Friday Bailiff Dickerson’s horse got away from him, while he was driving around cleaning and filling the street lamps. When he started he knocked Mr. Dickerson down, and ran through Union Street, into Front, and on to Mount Ararat, where it stopped. Although there were several carriages along the streets, he managed to escape them all, and did no damage.

Several more young men left Milton on Saturday, to seek employment in the city.

Robert M. Collins has purchased of his former partner, Oscar Betts, his interest in the general store, heretofore known as the store of Betts & Collins, on Union Street. Mr. Collins will continue the business.

William Morris’ has moved his store goods, from the corner of Front and Federal Streets, into the Prettyman storehouse, at the corner of Federal and Mulberry Streets.

On Saturday the oil tank wagon from Georgetown, broke down while coming through Hog Alley. With much trouble and many men it was gotten up in the afternoon, and proceeded to dispense oil to its customers.

John Green, who has been in the Marine Hospital, in Philadelphia, since before Christmas, undergoing operations for three cancers; one on each cheek, and one on the hand, came home on Saturday evening, much improved.

James Smith, while at work, in Philadelphia, struck the palm of his left hand against a nail and made an ugly wound. On Saturday he went to the hospital were a surgeon cut out nearly the whole of the palm, and sent them home on Monday with blood poison threatening.

Rev. R. S. Coursey, Mrs. Coursey, Capt. G. E. Megee and wife, and Miss Mayme A. Conner, returned from the Pocomoke conference, on Monday evening. As was expected, and nonetheless gratifying, because expected, the Rev. Coursey is returned to this charge for another year. Captain Megee goes to Mount Ararat, and Miss Conner to the Milton shirt factory.

Mr. and Mrs. George Abbott, of Milford, are the guests of their daughter, Mrs. William Morris.

George E. Bryan, formerly of Broadkiln, died at the home of James Jefferson, in Lewes & Rehoboth Hundred, on Sunday night, of consumption. Age 47 years, one month, and 14 days. Funeral services were held at Zion M. E. Church on Tuesday afternoon, by the Rev. R. F. Coursey, assisted by the Rev. G. J. Hooker, S. J. Wilson & Son, funeral director.

John D. Messick, who was recently operated on for appendicitis by Dr. Hearn, of Philadelphia, and Dr. Wilson, of Milton, has completely recovered.