November 23, 1906

A terrible accident occurred on Saturday morning near Harbeson which resulted in the death of James Henry Donovan, aged 48 years, 8 months and 21 days. It develops that Mr. Donovan was expecting Mr. Sipple, his landlord, to visit him, and in preparation for this Mr. Donovan was cleaning his gun when the accident happened. The mother and daughter of the deceased were in the room at the time. Coroner Pepper held an inquest, and the jury rendered a verdict of “death by the explosion of a gun.” Funeral services were held at Beaver Dam on Monday afternoon by Rev. Siler, and the remains deposited in the cemetery of that church by S. J. Wilson & Son.

The gunning season is now on, but the game appears to be scarce. Partridges are selling for ten cents apiece and rabbits at 20 cents a pair.

One evening last week, while Willie Conner was gone to supper, some person entered his store by a back window and took one silver dollar. He was generous enough to take no more, although there were several dollars in change in the bag.

William Workman is raising a store on the property Mrs. Thomas W. Jefferson recently purchased on Broad Street.

S. G. Baught has removed from Chestnut Street into the Captain John Fisher property of Federal Street.

There are several Milton persons who are inquiring about the “Milton Board of Trade.” If it is not on the wing they would like to locate it.

Jester, of Milton, and Simpler, of near Harbeson, are running a big business in the auctioneer line this autumn. There are many sales being made and these men appear to be doing the business.

The many Milton friends of Captain John Rogers, the jolly Irish commander of the William B. Rambo, and owner of the line schooner, Grey Eagle, will be sorry to hear of his death, which occurred in Bridgeport, Pa., on the evening of the 17th. Captain Rogers was 65 years of age, and his death was the result of cancer of the stomach. He had been engaged in canal navigation for forty years, and his last trip was made between the head waters of Chesapeake Bay and Bridgeport, last September. Captain Rogers was last in Milton in July, with the William B. Rambo, which vessel is now in port at Bridgeport, Pa. The funeral services were held on Wednesday last and the remains interred in the Bridgeport cemetery. A wife and one son survive him. Like all other Irishmen he was a true friend to his friends.

Edwin P. Johnson, of this town, who is a railroad boss now operating near Roanoke, Va., was severely injured by a premature blast of dynamite last week.

Ely B. Carey, familiarly known as “Burt,” is improving, and we hope he will soon be out again.

Mrs. William Robinson went to Haddonfield, N. J., to attend the funeral of her uncle, and on Monday Mr. Robinson received a dispatch from his daughter that Mrs. Robinson was in a hospital. Nothing was mentioned as to ailment. Mr. Robinson took the early train on Tuesday.

William Fredericks, ex-purser of the defunct steamer, Mary M. Vinyard, as removed from Broad Street, North Milton, into the property of the heirs of the late S. H. Manship, on Chestnut Street. Mr. Hartman, of the “big store,” will take the property vacated by Mr. Fredericks.

There are a few people who are killing hogs, but the action is not general. Captain Darby, who is an authority on the subject, says, “according to the conglomeration of the weather I think it’s a little bit too soon.”

The depressing atmosphere and the humidity have slackened the mechanical work. Carpenters cannot use white pine lumber for outside purposes during this weather, neither can painters do their work. The brick building is also at a standstill from the same cause.

Dr. Walter Hunter, of Greenwood, is a Milton visitor.

Captain James Conwell is at home with his family.

Captain George Hunter has been spending some time in Milton.