September 7, 1906

In delightful contrast with the past few weeks were the opening days of September. Not the blast of Old Boreas[i], but a light, soft, gentle, ethereal northern wave vanquished the humidity and atmospheric pressure of the past and gave to us a pleasant entrée of the first days of the first autumnal month. May its beginning be a precursor to its ending.

The primary meeting held here on Saturday was the largest that has been held for many years. There were 174 votes polled, and not withstanding Caleb R. Layton was here on the Thursday evening previous to the election, to size up the situation and instruct his henchmen, the Allee-Layton ticket was defeated by a majority of 38 votes. The following delegates were elected to attend the Dover convention: John M. Robins, James R. Carey, Nathan Williams; alternates: Theodore W. Reed, E. D. Campbell, Joseph L. Black. B. Frank Walls was elected member of the County Executive Committee, vice Harry Robinson, the former incumbent.

Last week N. J. Messick, of near Waples, lost a $150 horse by what is supposed to be “blind staggers.”[ii] Edward Jones has also lost a young horse, and Robert Walls a mule by a similar disease.

Last week new ties were put upon the trestle east and west of the Milton station.

A new leaf has been put on the bridge crossing the sidewalk on the Union Street, north.

All persons from Milton, who wish to take the morning northbound train from Ellendale, are requested to write to David Donovan, agent at that point, stating the number of pieces of baggage, and shape, also the kind of ticket, the day previous. The connection between trains at Ellendale is so close that unless this is done it is almost impossible for a traveler to make the D. M. & V. Train. It is queer the two railroads, said to be working under the same corporation, should not make a better schedule for their patrons.

Mrs. Susie B. Davidson, after spending several weeks with friends, returned to Philadelphia on Saturday.

Miss Katherine Burton, of Millsboro, has been the guest of Miss Elizabeth Black for several days.

On Saturday a horse belonging to a Asa Warren, slipped a trace while coming down the Federal Street, and ran to the dock, where he broke loose from the buggy. He was subsequently caught and no damage done.

A gang of men belonging to the Diamond State Telephone Company, came to town on Friday and are now at work near Milton. They are taking out the rotten pine poles between here and Harbeson and substituting cedar ones. It is said they will extend the line to Waples Mill, and two other private residences to the north of town.

Rev. Stimmell, of Wilmington, preached at the M. E. Church on Sunday morning and evening. For the burning sermon he took for his text, Genesis XVII, and latter clause of the first verse: “I Am The Almighty God, Walk Before Me, and Be Then Perfect.” He delivered an interesting discourse of 40 minutes, giving a partial review of the life of Abraham and making its application.

Last week a lady living opposite the M. P. Church heard the “toot, toot” of an automobile. “Well,” said she, “I want some fish, and I’ll go get them.” She went out on the front porch and sat down to wait for the fish wagon. After a while she went back disappointed.

It is rumored that detectives Witsel is scouting around Broadkiln were looking for someone who has been catching “hedge heels” out of season.

J. B. Welch, horologist, musician, druggist and poet, went gunning last week. Hearing of the matter, we went out in the woods to find him. We didn’t find him. Returning we met Theodore E. Primrose on the street and explained the situation. “Why,” said he, “I heard a gun fire a while ago. I expect he shot himself.” And Mr. Primrose suggested that we organized a posse comitatus[iii] and go look for him. “But,” said he, “let’s wait a while.” We waited. About 10 o’clock Mr. Welch returned jaded out. He had his gun, two gray squirrels, a chipmunk, a blue jobs, and a box terrapin (?). He threw himself into a chair on his front porch in a state of utter exhaustion. He subsequently recovered without the use of restoratives.

Prof. W. G. Fearing is painting the building of the Girard Trust Company at Redden.

Mrs. Charles Carey and children, of Camden, N. J., And Mrs. James Davis and children, of Philadelphia, are the guests of their parents, Mr. and Mrs. Eli L. Collins.

Miss Mary Fisher, of Philadelphia, is being entertained by Mrs. C. G. Waples on Union Street, north.

Mr. Edward Scienac, of New York City, is a guest of Milton friends.

The colored camp at Lavinia’s wood closed on Sunday night. It has been a financial success; and by this means, the colored minister raises a part of his salary.

Captain Henry Hudson had a narrow escape from being run over on Sunday afternoon by the 6:00 excursion train bound from Rehoboth to Baltimore. The captain was crossing the track at the station, and expected this train to stop. But it was a flyer and went through; he barely escaped and was terribly scared when he recognized how near he had been to death.

The canning house at Nassau was burned on Tuesday morning between one and two o’clock, or just after the excursion train bound from Rehoboth to Baltimore had passed. A building and the whole of the stock were lost. No insurance. The fire is supposed to have been the work of an incendiary.

There were 76 tickets sold for the excursion to Tolchester from Milton on Thursday last, and 119 tickets were sold for the excursion to Chesapeake Beach and Washington.

The banks were closed on Labor Day. Nothing else.

Clifford Jensen, infant child of Mr. and Mrs. Fred Jensen, died on Monday, age 1 month and 10 days. Funeral services were held by the Rev. McCready at Beaver Dam on Wednesday afternoon, and interment made in the adjacent cemetery by S. J. Wilson.

On Monday morning George L. Short, merchant at Overbrook, mislaid his pocketbook containing about $120 and some checks. Two colored men were near the store at the time, and Mr. Short had reason to believe one of them had it. He was accused, and denied the accusation. Mr. Short had them arrested and locked up in Milton. On Tuesday morning Mr. Palmer, section boss on the railroad, found the pocketbook along the track below Milton, with nearly all the money in it. The theory was the parties who had it had given it a third party, who was known, and he having made the excursion to Washington, and returning on the night train, had thrown the book from the train were it was found. Constable Barsuglia was sent after this man, and brought him to Milton. On Tuesday evening the trio were arraigned before Squire Collins. Winchester Holland, the last minute caught, acknowledged he was on the train the previous evening, when the other two were caught at Milton, and had thrown the money from the train. He made restitution for what money he had spent, and, as Mr. Short did not care to prosecute further, the case was dropped. A pistol having been found on the person of John Henry Holland, he was held under $200 bail for carrying “concealed deadly weapons.” Jeremiah Holland went his bail.


[i] Boreas is the Greek for North

[ii] This is a symptom of several unrelated animal diseases, in which the affected animal walks with an unsteady, staggering gait and seems to be blind. The many possible causes include poisoning from ingesting plants containing a high level of selenium or from ingesting grasses infected with the fungal disease known as ergot.

[iii] This is the full Latin term for what we commonly call a posse today.