April 5, 1907

Easter morning dawned gloomy and portentous. Dark and lowering clouds hovered around the horizon, and apprehensions were felt of a rainy day. Notwithstanding the unfavorable appearance of the weather, the churches were well attended, and the beauty of Easter hats was the chief among the many attractions. (Thanks to the efficiency of the Milton milliners.)

Rev. R. T. Coursey strained a tendon or ligament of one of his legs before going to church and was obliged to sit in a chair while delivering his sermon. The anticipated rain came in the afternoon, and the evening was disagreeable.

The sad occurrence of the afternoon was the funeral of Captain James Kimmey, who died in Philadelphia on Thursday, quite suddenly. The remains were brought to Harbeson, on the noon train of Sunday, and at 4 o’clock the funeral was held in the M. E. Church, by the Rev. R. T. Coursey, after which the remains were deposited in the vault which he had built a few years ago. Captain Kimmey’s wife, Mrs. Fannie Kimmey, was buried here in this vault about five weeks ago, and the deaths of these two persons so close together, and so closely allied to each other, makes this occasion peculiarly sad. Captain Kimmey was a native of Milton, and wife of nearby. The former was for many years a captain of note, and at one time had a most splendid vessel built in Milton.[i] Later he returned, and at the time of his death was engaged in business in Philadelphia. This pair–or shall I say one–is another demonstration of love of country. After the cares of life are over, they are brought back, by their own request, to sleep beneath the soil of their own loved Broadkiln.

William R. Davis, age 68 years, one month and four days, died near Ellendale on Friday. Funeral at Reynolds on Sunday morning, by the Rev. Sites, and interment in adjoining cemetery, by S. J. Wilson & Son.

Sophia A. Morris, relict of the late Derrick B. Morris, died at the home of John J. Perry, in Millsboro, on Saturday, age 72 years, one month, and 27 days. Funeral at the home, on Tuesday morning, and interment in Coolspring Cemetery. Rev. Wells conducted the last sad rites, and S. J. Wilson & Son inhumed the body.

Captain George Kimmey[ii], his two sons and son-in-law, all of Philadelphia, attended the funeral of his brother on Sunday. They returned to their homes on the noon train of Monday.

Rev. G. R. .McCready, and N. W. White, lay delegate, are in attendance at the Maryland Annual Conference, which convened at Washington, on Wednesday. Mr. McCready has given such universal satisfaction since he has been in Milton that his return has been unanimously asked for.

Shad have been plenty in the Broadkiln during the past week, and when caught, offered for sale is 75 cents each. They are a little lower now.

Stubs to mark the sites of the electric poles were driven in town last week. Another move toward materialization soon, if we are not called to another climate, we may be able to attend the banquet, given in honor of the completion of the “Milton Electric Light Company.”

Mrs. Lydia Ellingsworth has removed from Federal Street, into the former “Wilson property,” on Chestnut Street.

The phone recently put in the office of the Milton Times is quite a convenience to the editor, and of value to his many transient visitors.

As the gardens are being ploughed the “Robin right breast” is around, following up the ploughman, and if he is treated kindly, will come close to one to pick up his worm.

Mrs. Prisilla Stokley, disposed of her household goods on Saturday at public sale, and will remove to Philadelphia.

Mrs. Maggie Jester Davidson, is now assistant “hello” girl at the phone exchange, in the upper room of the mayor’s building, on Federal Street.

Mr. Lemuel Hartman, proprietor of the “Big Store,” is, for a time, keeping bachelor hall, on account of this “better half” being absent, visiting her parents, at Shrewsboro, Pa.

John Entrass died at the home of Wrixham Mcllvaine on Sunday, aged 21 years. Funeral at Coolspring on Wednesday morning, by the Rev. Henderson of Georgetown, and interment made in that cemetery by S. J. Wilson & Son.

The 1st of April brought rain, snow and hail in the morning, a cool atmosphere in the afternoon and evening. Tuesday morning the thermometer was down at 20 degrees and ice plenty, and over one-half inch thick. Reports on the destruction of the fruit crop are numerous. Mr. Draper of Prime Hook was in town on Tuesday morning, and report peaches killed, beyond a doubt; other parties think they are damaged, but not materially. At this writing it is too soon to make an estimate; if there are any who can. The biggest thing that developed on April 1, (“All Fool’s Day”) was a present delivered at the home of Willie W. Conner on Federal Street, and presented to him by his wife. It is a girl baby and weighs twelve pounds, and D. A. C., Is another “grandpap.” As “Paul Pry” highly complimented the writer on another occasion of this kind perhaps he will do so in this. Not that we are seeking after laurels, but we must stand by the wheels of industry while the propagation of the country goes on.

[i] Refer to the Milton News letter of March 1, 1907 for the description of Mrs. Kimmey’s funeral, and a picture of the schooner named after her. This was in all likelihood the “splendid vessel” built by Captain James Kimmey, in the Black and Black shipyard of Milton.

[ii] George Kimmey was a captain of the schooner Fannie Kimmey, named for his sister-in-law.