December 20, 1907

Before another Milton […] shall have been read by the readers of the Chronicle, Christmas will have come and been numbered with those that are past. The children and the older people will have been made glad by the expected remembrances of relatives and friends, and expectation will have been merged into reality. The Christmas tide comes but “once a year” and we wish all a happy time during the coming festivities. The show windows of the Milton stores are all aglow with Christmas goods. Almost anything that can delight the eye, or please the fancy is to be found in these well fitted departments. The people are appreciating this outlay of capital on the part of the merchants, and showing it by contributing their custom in advance of the holidays.

Town Council has contracted with the Milton Electric Light Company for lighting the streets. There are to be thirty lights of thirty-two candlepower each, an all night and every night service, to which the town is to pay $360.00 per year. In addition to the thirty contracted for, the company gives five street lamps and lights the fire house, hall and mayor’s office for the privilege of the town franchise. The street lamps are to be in active service as soon as the weather permits.

The condemned piling that was on the dock has been sold to Captain G. E. Megee, who has had it cut into shorter lengths for other purposes, and shipped to Philadelphia by rail.

The largest hog that has been killed in Milton or vicinity was that of Thomas Pepper near town. Weight 650 lbs.

Edwin T. Johnson made a business trip to Philadelphia last week.

Noble Ellingsworth of Philadelphia is visiting his mother.

L. B. Chandler is quite ill with dropsy and kindred diseases, at his home on Union Street, north Milton.

Captain George E. Megee is having hauled on the dock quite a quantity of wood unfit for market. This he prefers to convert into stove wood with a portable steam power saw, and retail to the housekeepers of town.

The Smith brothers have completed painting the dwelling of Doll Johnson on Chestnut Street.

On Sunday afternoon, at the residence of her parents, W. W. and Virgie L. Conner, the Rev. R. T. Coursey administered the sacrament of Baptism to Blanch Lavinia Conner, eight months old.

Edgar Lank Esq., attorney-at-law of Philadelphia, spent Sunday in Milton.

There will be an entertainment held at the M. E> Church on Thursday evening the 26th.

P. Frank and John Atkins visited their parents on Saturday, returning to Philadelphia on Monday.

Rev. G. B. McReady and Captain Charles Mason went gunning again on Monday. They had their usual luck.

“There is cheat in all trades but ours.”[i] And now it is a young man who was employed to saw a load of wood. When he came to a stick he thought too hard he hid it under a house nearby. The employer found the sticks after the sawyer had gone.

We wish the people to know the Times office has a new broom, also a clean towel.

After hearing of the McCready—Mason gunning expedition on Monday, John Crouch the elder, and editor Walter Crouch the son, went in the afternoon. We were at the office several times on Tuesday and learned that Crouch the elder killed three rabbits, and Walter one.

Two black oaks that were dead, at the entrance to Lavinia Cap ground have been cut down and converted into firewood. In one of the trees there was a hollow in which a swarm of bees had been living; but they were gone, and a lot of dried comb remained but no honey.

A great many hogs were killed on Monday. Amongst the larger ones were the two of Prof E. Wise Warren, which weighed 397 and 400 pounds.

Marsh Rabbits have been late in making their appearance this season; but they came last week and retailed at 5 cents apiece.

J. B. Welch has returned from the city with a large stock of jewelry for the holidays.

J. W. Atkins is having considerable trouble over the gutter, in front of his residence on Mulberry Street fronting Broad. The attention of Town Council is called to this matter, as well as to a portion of Chestnut Street, between Hazzard and Manship Avenues; the latter is the worst part of street in town.

Mrs. Abbie Kimmey, wife of George Kimmey, died at her home in Philadelphia on Monday of last week, in the 62nd year of her age. Funeral services were held at her late home on the following Thursday evening, and the remains transmitted to Milton on Friday, and deposited in the Kimmey vault, in the M. E. Cemetery. The deceased was a former resident of Milton, and is the third one who has been put in the Kimmey vault this year. Captain Kimmey and sons returned home on Monday.

The Wagamon brothers have received the new machinery for their corn mills.

Schooner Rambo is being overhauled at Milton dock.

John U. Jones, after having the interior of the property he lately purchased on Chestnut Street thoroughly renovated, repainted, and repapered, has moved therein.

The shirt and overall factory will close on Saturday for one week, to give the employees time to say “Christmas gift.”

Miss Edith Wilson of Philadelphia is visiting her mother, grandmother and many friends.

Rev. Martin Damer, rector of the church of St. John Baptist, attended the funeral of the late Bishop Coleman, at Wilmington, on Thursday.

Mrs. Ollie Morris, of near town, is convalescing from a severe attack of Cyanche tracheates.[ii]

The third Quarterly Conference of the M. P. Church was held on Tuesday evening.

Dorman Porter while at work in C. G. Waples saw mill on Tuesday, in trying to step over a moving belt, stepped on it and was violently thrown to the floor. He was considerably bruised about the face and body, though not dangerously hurt.

Miss Susie Carey of Glenside, Pa., spent a few days at the family homestead in Milton.


[i] This is an old adage that has no apparent attribution; for a humorous illustration of its meaning, read the article written by P. T. Barnum

[ii] The actual spelling is cynanche trachealis, and is an obsolete 19th century name for the disease we now call croup.