February 1, 1907

We cannot believe with that class of people who hold, there are no such thing as accidents that occur in the world. Seismic disturbances may be partly explained on the ground to the geologic development, and other natural phenomenon may be accounted for our unscientific principles, but when we consider the said occurrence that led to the death of Riley H. Wilson, the son of Mr. and Mrs. Thomas R. Wilson, of Prime Hook, on Wednesday of last week, we are led to believe there are such things as accidents. The little fellow who was returning home from school, when he, with some companions got him with a farmer to ride. While sitting on the side of the wagon one of the wheels ran into a rout, and he was thrown from the wagon, the wheel passing over his head, causing instant death. The funeral services were held at the residence of his parents on Saturday afternoon, and interment made in the Odd Fellows cemetery, at Milton, by S. J. Wilson & Son.

Alfred F. Manship, aged 5 months and 10 days, infant son of Harry and Mrs. Manship, died on last Thursday morning. Funeral services were held by the Rev. J. R. McCready, and interment made in the M. E. Cemetery by J. R. Atkins.

On Sunday evening the 20th, Miss Lizzie Robbins, of near Robbins, and Curtis reed junior. Of near Reynolds, were united in wedlock. The ceremony was performed by the Rev. J. R. McCready, at the home of Miss Hettie Reed, in North Milton.

Captain George Hunter is repairing his dwelling on Chestnut Street.

The revival services still continue at both churches, with much success.

Rev. B. S. Taylor, to noted evangelist who has been conducting the meetings at the M. E. Church, left on Monday for Whitesville, were he will conduct a series of meetings.

William Fosque, son of Mayor Fosque, who has been a resident of Lynchburg, Va., for three years, is visiting his parents.

A teachers institute will be held in School Hall, this town, on Saturday afternoon and evening, Feb. 2. An excellent programme has been prepared, and a pleasant time is anticipated.

George A. Abbott, after a lingering illness, died at his home near town on Friday of consumption, aged 39 years, 11 months, and 20 days. Funeral services were held on Sunday, at Reynolds M. E. Church, under the auspices of the Jr. O. U. A. M., and interment made in that cemetery. Rev. J. R. McCready preached the funeral sermon. S. J. Wilson & Son funeral director.

Another cold wave visited us on Sunday; at night a snow of 2 inches depth fell. On Monday morning the river and lake were again frozen, and the air was decidedly invigorating. A few more days of the present weather, will make ice ripe enough for harvesting. This is what the dealers are hoping for.

Miss Eve Coverdale, of Philadelphia, is visiting her father Wesley Coverdale.

The gypsies who have been spending a few weeks near town, broke camp on Friday and started south. There is quite a band of them, and between 30 and 40 horses.

Captain Scull has removed all of his buildings, except the one he occupies, and another from Mount Ararat. The last mentioned he will not move until spring.

It is said that J. R. Atkins has purchased, or is about to purchase, an incubator, and engage in the incubation of chickens, by steam. This “modus operandi” of hatching chicks has been tried in Milton, but has not proved remunerative to the parties interested. However, Mr. Atkins is an exceptional man, and generally makes everything go he undertakes, and will doubtless do the same with this undertaking. If some enterprising genius would introduce a process of laying eggs, by steam, this would be both pleasant and profitable business.

The quantity of lumber of various kinds that is being shipped from Milton is astonishing. It is mostly piling and mine props. And, now report says Dr. Leonard has a contract to furnish 10,000 pea sticks. If this be true, the cripples and bramble near town will be so far cut off, as not to offer a roosting place for a rabbit.

Willard Ellingsworth was in town on Monday to get a glass put in his spectacles. He remarked on Sunday he picked up the Chronicle to read the Talmadge Sermon. He began to try to read but could not see clearly, and found out something must be wrong with his eyes. He looked around and tried to read several times, but his vision appeared to be blurred. At last, he took off his spectacles and found one of the glasses missing. He does not know how he lost it, but knows it is gone. And his visit to town on Monday substantiates his story. Welch, the parologist [sic][i] and eye specialist fixed him up.

A flock of wild geese passed over town Tuesday, going south, perhaps predicting more cold weather.


[i] Possibly the word intended here was horologist