January 18, 1907

The agitation in the town for over eight weeks has been over church affairs, if the law actions attending there on, and the high price of eggs. On Thursday young citizen was arraigned before Squire Collins, charge with disturbing the meeting at the M. E. Church on that memorable Monday night of last week; he waived a hearing and gave bail in the sum of $400 for his appearance at court. On Thursday night Sheriff Pritchett came to town, and after the preaching service was over at the M. E. Church, arrested eventual is tailor on the charge of slander preferred by john Wilson. The slander is alleged to have been committed on “the memorable Monday night” of last week. Mr. Taylor was required to furnish $1000 bail for his appearance at court. This edict, giving as bondsman J. L. Black, captain G. E. Mickey, J. C. Ellingsworth, and W. T. Starkey, official members of the church.

We have said above “the memorable Monday night of last week.” It is a “memorable Monday night,” for such action was never known on the street or in the church as was performed on that night in Milton. The town is not yet regained its status quo. Public feeling is deep and profound the excitement, though smothered, is not allayed. Presiding Elder Morgan was phoned for on Tuesday, and promised to come to Milton on Thursday, but failed to do so. The people of the town are the jurors in this case, and it is for them to decide who is the instrument that has brought this humiliation upon our town, which has led to the dismemberment of society and the disintegration of the church, and place the blame where it properly belongs. The meeting still continues with some success. A valuable acquisition to spiritual help came on Monday evening in the person of the Rev. Dixon, of Hongbrook, Pa., a gentleman in every particular. He was here two weeks ago. Rev. Alfred Smith, of Dover, also came on Monday. The protracted effort will continue indefinitely.

Miss Eva Smith, who has purchased a building lot on Union Street, north, has had the old familiar willey cut down preparatory to erecting a building.

The electric light poles are distributed along the route from Georgetown to the town limits of Milton.

Captain W. H. Megee and wife of Philadelphia are the guests of their Milton friends.

The new vessel that J. P. Davidson will build will be built on C. H. Atkins’ yards near the fertilizer factory.

Mr. Alison Blizzard, of Wilmington, was the guest of Miss May Welch on Sunday.

Prof. John A. Collins died suddenly at his home on Federal Street on Sunday afternoon, of heart troubles, aged 61 years, 3 months, 16 days. Mr. Collins had been ailing for two or three years, but on the day of his death was supposed to be in his usual health. He was sitting in a chair, when noticed to be unconscious, and when assistance was summoned he was found to be gone. Funeral services were held at his late residence on Wednesday afternoon by the Revs. Coursey and McCready, and interment made in the M. E. Cemetery by S. J. Wilson & Son. Deceased leaves a widow, but no children; two brothers, Eli L., Justice-of-the-Peace, and William T. Collins, and one sister, Mrs. David Lank, all of Milton.

Sarah Jane Burton, a colored woman of this town, and relict of the late John Burton, died at her home on Thursday, aged 74 years. Funeral services were held on Saturday afternoon at the A. M. E. Church in South Milton, and interment made in the colored cemetery near town by J. R. Atkins, undertaker.

Captain James Scull commenced to move his buildings from Mount Ararat to the south side of Front Street on Monday.

Charles Veasey has removed his family from the Lofland property to the Jefferson property on Federal Street.

Paul Pfeiffer has removed from the country and occupies the Mrs. Lindle property on Chestnut Street.

The revival services at the M. E. Church are doubtless doing much good. The tirade against tobacco has its effect. Two dealers in the weed are seriously impressed with the sinfulness of the habit. And dealing in, and selling the stuff. It is understood they intend to quit selling as soon as they dispose of their present stock, which, they say, they intend to do at cost. We believe one of these men agreed to do this same thing, once before.

Rev. and Mrs. Coursey are now catering to two ministers and one evangelist.

The extra meetings at the M. P. Church are becoming interesting. Many converts have been made, and on Monday evening the excitement was intense. It was one of the old protracted meetings, “of yore.”

John Coulter, who has been suffering for some time, with an abscess in the throat, was better last week; but on Sunday took a relapse. His condition was critical for a while. He is better now.

Captain George Megee is one of the most generous men in the country. He is cutting lumber from woods, near town; and it is reported, offered one of the lazy men all the wood he could cut, free. “Well, Captain,” said the mendicant, “won’t you haul it for me?” “Yes,” said the Captain. “Well, Captain, couldn’t you have it cut for me?” Captain Megee left.

The school house flag is flying half mast, this week, in memoriam to Prof. John A. Collins; and the school adjourned on Wednesday afternoon, to pay tribute to one who was once their tutor. Many floral wreaths were placed on the casket. Prof. Weaver made a very touching address, dwelling on the many marked characteristics of the deceased.

The electric light man is here again putting in wires. O, when will this electric light materialize?

Captain Eli Burris, 82 years of age, is quite ill, at his home on Chestnut Street.

Mrs. Margaret Prettyman is still indoors, as a result of her illness.

Dr. Leonard says it is a false report that he is absent from the meetings. We are very familiar with the doctor, and are in a position to believe him. And the church will hear from Mr. Leonard at the next experience meeting.