May 31, 1907

All of the dwelling homes that were on Mount Ararat have been transferred to Scull Town. Captain Scull’s mansion residence was the last one to cross Front Street and considering the difficult work attending the removal of these buildings, and the nature of the ground over which they had to be carried, a good job has been made of the whole. The interesting little borough of Scull Town now contains seven buildings and under the direction of Captain Scull, we may expect to see more improvements as the months go by. That portion of Mount Ararat from whence these building were removed is belevelled, and the surplus dirt is being utilized for the foundation of a concrete floor for one of the large buildings now being built at this point. The ground all around the place is also being graded, and it is expected to have all things in readiness at the beginning of the packing season. If some of the old carpenters of years ago could now come back and look at this former shipyard, the scene of their toil and sweat, they would not know the place, and would doubtless say, “Things do change!”

A fuss that began in Georgetown between Constable Barsuglia and Charles Reed culminated in Milton when Barsuglia knocked Reed down and bruised him badly. Barsuglia, who was comparatively unhurt, went before the Mayor and paid his fine for disturbing the peace. Reed left town after the fracas, and returned the next day when he was arrested by Bailiff Robinson and arraigned before the Mayor and fined.

Last Thursday Jim Palmer wanted to put his cow in a meadow, but the cow appeared to want to go back to Slaughter Neck, where she had come from. And they had it on Union Street, Palmer and the cow. When they crossed the bridge, Palmer wanted the cow to go about and get into the meadow. The cow demurred. Palmer insisted. The cow stated in a trot, and Palmer tightened on the line he had around her neck. The cow broke into a gallop, and Palmer tried to catch a turn with the rope around a part they were passing. He failed to do this, and lost hold of the line. The cow continued to run until someone stopped her, and gave her to Mr. Palmer, who had not given up the chase. The cow didn’t get any grass that afternoon, but was confined in the stable. The language that was used during this exciting affair—well, we’ll say no more on the subject!

The wild honeysuckle is out [in] all its beauty and glory.

Martin Chamber is building an annex to his dwelling on Lavinia Street.

The chauffeur of Joshua Gray’s automobile bursted the tire of one of the front wheels on Thursday. It has been repaired.

Abel Pettijohn is raising a story on the back building to his residence on Union Street.

The mule that was turned loose on the street by Anton Neibert, and arrested by the bailiff, was turned over to the constable. As the mule appears to belong to nobody, it was advertised for sale, but later Neibert paid the bill for the mule and took him home.

Clarence Clifton has moved into the Primrose property on Broad Street. This property was recently bought by John Clifton, father of the occupant.

The meeting that was billed for the election of trustees for the M. E. Church on Monday, has been called off indefinitely owing to a technicality of the law not understood by the present officials.

At the M. E. Church in this town $17 were raised on Sunday by the Broadkiln Hundred Bible Society; and $5 at Zion. Miss Sallie Lofland and Miss Emma Simpler were elected life members from the M. E. Church. The M. P. congregation raised $20, and elected the Rev. and Mrs. McCready as delegates to the Lewes convention which met on Thursday. Mrs. G. W. Megee and Miss Virginia Brockington were chose delegates by the M. E. congregation.

There were more surveys made last week by the telephone company and more phones put in private dwellings.

Robert Blocksom, of Magnolia, was a Milton visitor on Sunday and Monday.

Thomas Atkins, the aged individual, who went to Philadelphia last week, has returned, Mr. Atkins said, “I told them a thing or two and invited the police to come to Milton and learn something.”

Captain Miers Darby, of Philadelphia, spent a few days of last week with Milton friends.

Mrs. John Atkins and wife were visiting the former’s parents, Prof. P. Page and Mrs. Atkins recently.

On last Tuesday evening Mr. David M. Conwell gave a reception in honor of their son’s 21st birthday, H, Earnest Conwell. About 200 invitations were sent out to the beauty, the elite and the bonnet belle of Milton and elsewhere.

This newspaper clipping (source unknown) was discovered recently in the Milton Historical Society archives. Lydia Ann Black is standing in the front row to the left of the teacher, in dark blouse.

The commencement exercises of the Milton Public Schools were held on Friday evening. A splendid program was rendered. The members of the graduating class were Miss Lydia Black[i], Nora Calhoun, Welden Waples, Layton Douglass, and Hester Gray. The teachers have finished their work, and for the present have lain off the garb of pedagogy and retired for the pleasures of the summer season. Prof. E. W. Warren and Miss Acker will remain in Milton to exercise a well-needed supervision of the wayward youth of the town. Miss Hugg retires to Milford, and Miss Pepper to Georgetown. Prof. Weaver has gone to his home at Terrehill, Pa., where it is understood he has been elected as a teacher for the coming school term. But Mr. Weaver informed the writer on the eve of his departure, he had not accepted the position.

Mr. Weaver is a fine young man and has made hosts of friends since his advent in Milton. We don’t suppose that in the multitudinous and multiform duties of a teacher’s life he has made one enemy in Milton. He leaves with the regrets of the people, and we may add with these of himself. Perhaps there is a witching smile he carries with him, that last lingered on the face of a lovely blonde, as she reclined in her cottage on the banks of the Broadkiln. This we do not aver for this paper does not reach Terrehill, and should a little siren of that Pennsylvania town see it, might make—well goodbye. Prof. Weaver, for the time may you enjoy your vacation.

Mrs. W. T. Chase, wife of Captain Chase, of Reynolds Mill, has purchased the restaurant, No. 2145 South 16th Street, Philadelphia, and removed thereto. Captain Chase will continue for the present at the mill property.

Rev. Alfred Smith lectured on Sunday evening at the M. E. Church, and $51 was raised for the temperance campaign.

Mrs. Mary J. Smithers is very ill at the present writing. Her son, William Smithers, attorney-at-law of Philadelphia, has been with her since Thursday.



[i] Lydia Black is none other than Lydia Ann Black Cannon (1888 – 1973), the Milton-born benefactor who bought the Milton M. P. Church (later Grace Methodist Church) building after it had been all but abandoned, and gave it to the Milton Historical Society in 1971. The current building, renovated and open to the public as the Lydia B. Cannon Museum in 1973, was named for her. From various sources we know she trained and worked as a nurse in Philadelphia Hospitals. After her graduation, she trained as a teacher; the 1910 U. S. Census shows that she was still living with her parents in Milton, and listed her occupation as public school teacher. Sometime after 1910, she embarked upon a career in nursing, training and working in Philadelphia. A photo card sent to her mother postmarked May 7, 1913 shows her with a group of fellow nurses on the 8th floor terrace of the hospital at which she was employed, probably as a student nurse, in Philadelphia. From a Nurses’ Alumnae Association Journal published in 1969, she is identified as a donor, by name, of the class of 1916, Jefferson School of Nursing, at Thomas Jefferson University in Philadelphia. In class news, she writes that she is retired, and all her family are deceased. Per the 1920 U. S. Census, she was head nurse at Bryn Mawr Hospital, Lower Merion Township, Pa. In the 1921 yearbook of the Hospital of the Woman’s Medical College of Pennsylvania School of Nursing, she appears to have a leadership role in training nurses and is lauded for it by the students. She was the superintendent and director of nursing education at Milford Memorial Hospital from 1940-42, and was the director of nursing education at Roxborough, Pa., Hospital until her retirement in 1953.