October 4, 1907

We heard a man say recently, “There ought to be a law passed to stop these factories from blowing their whistles so early in the morning. It is just the time a person wants to sleep.” We suggest that this man go to bed earlier and get up when the whistles blow or earlier. As for ourself we go to bed in the early evening and are awakened by the melodious lowing of a cow nearby, saluting the early dawn. We get up and are happy. Try it, reader, it will do the more good than all the materia medica.

We have often thought it very unwise for a man to engage in a business for which he had no adaptability. A case in point has come under our notice since we have been a resident of Milton. A young man—young at that time—engaged in the mercantile business for three successive times. A business for which he had not one qualification. He failed on one corner, blowed up on another, and the last collapse is a kind of seismic disturbance, which, as the intelligent reader knows, is a geological phenomenon not fully understood. Doubtless he will try it again somewhere else.

That step! O, that darling porch step! which has ornamented the top of a pile of bricks for several months, was taken in the porch on last Wednesday night and 9.30 o’clock and nicely scrubbed. “O, my pretty step!”

Rev. R. T. Coursey returned home on Thursday from a trip to Ohio and the Middle West. Mrs. Coursey and family returned the same day from a visit to Centreville, Md.

Fred Pepper is building a two story bay window one half sextagon [sic] in form, to the front of his residence on Mulberry Street.

Another sunflower has been heard from. This time it is E. F. Carey, of near town, who has cut down the stalk of this flower which measured 14 feet in height and 9 inches in circumference. It had only one flower 18 inches in diameter.

On Wednesday morning the 25th Miss Melvina Palmer, second daughter James Palmer, proprietor of the Ponder House, was married to Mr. Charles Thackery, of Wilmington.[i] The ceremony was performed at the home of the bride by the Rev. Martin Damer, rector of the church of Saint John the Baptist. The wedded pair left on the morning train for a brief sojourn at Atlantic City. They will reside in Wilmington.

A light frost was reported in certain localities on Thursday morning.

Burton M. Robinson has sold his farm near town to Frank Jefferson. Consideration $2000.

Latta & Terry[ii] of Philadelphia have been awarded the contract to build the jetties at the mouth of the Broadkiln. They will begin work as soon as possible.

The Goodwin Co. have been shipping their canned tomatoes to northern markets.

Robert Scull, of Atlantic City, visited his uncle, Captain James Scull, last week.

Charles A. Conner lost a five year old horse on Saturday night. Cause of death unknown.

J. C. Clendaniel is raising a story on, and otherwise repairing, a house for Jane Heavaloe on “Billy” Robinson Street, North Milton.

The Sunday school at Zion held a picnic in the grove near that church on Thursday afternoon. The subject of “Temperance” was discussed by John P. Holland, of Milford, and Mr. Daley, of Dover. The picnic was billed to take place on the lawn near the M. E. Church on Saturday afternoon, under the auspices of the W. C. T. U. But owing to the rain, the meeting was held in the church. R. G. Huston and Frank Jones, Esq., of Georgetown, presented the “temperance” question to the ones assembled. Ice cream and cake were the propelling features on both occasions, and the participants presumably enjoyed themselves.

Abel Pettyjohn, Sr., was stricken with paralysis on Thursday evening, affecting the whole of the right side. He is much improved at this writing.

Joseph Morris is putting a pretty stairs in the newly built home of Joseph Walls. The newel post and balustrade are of ash, and the remainder of the work is of pine.

George Simpler, of Harbeson, lost a horse last Thursday from eating too much clover hay.

Milton appears to present an attraction for Mr. F. Oliver Atha, representative of the Oliver Typewriter Co., of Baltimore. He spent a part of last Sunday with his Dulcinea in this town.

William Lofland, of Milford, and Theodore Veasey, of Delmar, were in attendance at the funeral of Thomas J. Atkins on Monday afternoon.

Tomatoes are yet on. Last week, the Goodwin Co. was crowded, but by strenuous work, it was able to catch up by Monday noon on the old lot. We speak more particularly of the Goodwin Co. from the fact that all evidence, presumptive the prima facie, go to prove that it is being imposed on. I, the writer, heard one man telling another that he knew of a man who contracted to put in four acres, and put in eight and was delivering them to the Goodwin Co. Another man said, “I know of others.” On Monday prices were from 10 to 16 the half cents and on Tuesday from 10 to 15 cents on our market. The glut is said to be over.

Edwin P. Johnson, of near Roanoke, Va., is visiting relatives here.

Thomas J. Atkins, senior member of the undertaking firm of Thomas J. Atkins & Son, died at his home on Union Street, north, on Wednesday evening, age 89 years, four months and 11 days. Funeral services were held at his late residence on Monday afternoon by the Rev. R. T. Coursey and his remains deposited in the Atkins vault in the M. E. Cemetery, over which the deceased has spent so much time and attention in building. Three daughters, Mrs. Emma Davidson, and the Misses Annie and Clara Atkins, and two sons, Messrs. D. T. and Roland Atkins, all of Milton, survive him. He has also two brothers living, P. Page Atkins, of Milton and Rev. John Atkins, of Nashville, Tennessee.

Susan M., wife of James Lofland, died suddenly at her home in Prime Hook on Wednesday of paralysis, on her 68th birthday. Funeral services were conducted at her late home on Saturday afternoon by the Rev. G. R. McCready and interment made in the Betts burying ground, near town. S. J. Wilson & Son funeral directors.


[i] Wilford Carey White, N. Wallace White’s son, married into the Palmer family; the Thackery couple are thus his brother-in-law and sister-in-law.

[ii] Latta & Terry Construction Co. was awarded many contracts for similar work in the Philadelphia and Delaware Bay areas until 1916, when the partnership dissolved.