March 20, 1908

The spring-like weather of the last few days has brought into life the elements of a new creation; or has infused a spirit of revivification in the old. The maple trees are budding and here and there little sprogs of grass are springing up by the wayside. But we are really afraid it is not all over yet. Twenty years ago the 12th of the present month, the well-remembered blizzard of 1888 took place. We have reason to remember that day[i], and it is not too late in the present month for another hyperborean blast of a like nature. The weather is beginning to put the spirit of work into the farmers and early truckers, who are ploughing; and the mechanics are also beginning to finish up their unfinished work, laid over for the winter. J. H. Davidson has commenced to finish the new building of Mrs. Joan A. Collins on Union Street; the M. P. parsonage on Broad Street has had some alterations made to its outbuildings. Pepper and […] are building a commodious stable and carriage house for G. H. Adkins on Lavinia Street; J. A. Betts has underway the repair of two naphtha launches, and Wesley Coverdale is engaged in painting others. The shirt and overall factory opened again on Monday, with its many operatives, after an enforced closure of ten days; the ground around the railroad station is strewn with piling and ties, the former, for shipment and the latter for use on the road; and two large barges or scows will soon be commenced. Taking all together the prospect for a busy year, while not so encouraging as the spring of last year, is by no means bad for Milton.

Miss Susie Carey, of Glenside, Pa., has been occupying the Carey homestead for a time. Her visit was, however, short; she came and departed during the last week.

Work has begun on the steamer Marie Thomas; and is being done at Mount Ararat dock. The public, generally, know that this vessel is to be made a passenger and freight schooner to ply between Milton and Philadelphia, or have been told enough about it to know.

A box social will be held at Reynold’s Schoolhouse on Wednesday evening.

During nearly all of the winter there has been a wrangle over the teacher of the colored school in North Milton. This culminated last week in her resignation, and the employment of C. Warren Shockley for the remainder of the term. Miss Estella D. Allen, the girl teacher is, no doubt, well-educated enough for a teacher, but there are other qualities than education requisite for a successful teacher in a district like Milton. Delaware has enough inefficient teachers without importing them from Pennsylvania.

Dr. J. A. Hopkins has planted California Privet in front of the vacant lot adjoining his residence on Federal Street.

It is understood that two of the Milton employers have reduced their employees’ wages 25 cents per day.

A few shad have been caught in the Broadkiln this week.

Rev. and Mrs. Coursey left Tuesday for the Wilmington Conference. Notwithstanding many difficulties, the Milton Methodist Episcopal Church still maintains its time-honored reputation, and Mr. Coursey leaves Milton with his salary fully paid. And the benevolent collections for the past year amounted to more than for several years.

L. B. Chandler has been confined to his home for many months with a complication of diseases, chief of which is dropsy. He has been worse for the last few days.

W. T. Starkey intends to build a porch in front of his building on Broad Street and to otherwise repair the property.

For the last few days Milton might have been called a “smoky city” from the quantity of that article emitted from burning refuse and settling over the town. This was, however, necessary as the people were burning off their gardens and the best way to get rid of the debris is to burn it. Hence the smoke! Many of our citizens have their potatoes, peas and other early vegetables planted, and during the next ten days, possibly, all who are inclined to plant potatoes will do so, as it is on the dark of the moon.

Barge Rambo has left Milton for Philadelphia.

John R. Davidson died on Thursday at the residence of Edward Jones in Broadkiln Hundred, of paralysis, aged 68 years. Funeral services were held at Zion M. E. Church on Saturday by Rev. R. T. Coursey and burial made in the cemetery, nearby, by S. J. Wilson & Son.

Lydia Fisher, late of Broadkiln Hundred, and relict of the late John Fisher, died in Philadelphia on Sunday. The remains were brought to Coolspring Station on the noon train Tuesday and conveyed to the Coolspring Presbyterian Church, where the last sad rites were performed by Rev. Henderson, of Georgetown, and interment made in the adjoining cemetery by S. J. Wilson Son.

Ellen Waples., wife of James Waples, a respectable colored woman, died on Monday evening of pneumonia. Funeral services were held on Wednesday in the A. M. E. Church by the Rev. Hill and interment made in the colored cemetery, near town, by J. R. Atkins.


[i] See the excerpt from David A. Conner’s letter from the town of Concord, published in the March 12, 1888 issue of the Milford Chronicle