November 19, 1909

Miss Ida Ponder has a small rectangular lot on Federal Street of about one-quarter of an acre. Into this lot J. Handy Prettyman has placed about ten pounds of cabbage seeds. The rows are about one foot apart and the plants are now from four to six inches high. We do not believe we should exaggerate were we to say there are […] plants […] and this is only about one-fourth of the ground hat Handy has in these plants. In about a week he will transplant them and put them under glass and muslin covers for the winter. In the very early spring he will be able to supply the peninsula with cabbage plants. Handy Prettyman is not only an industrious colored man but a genius withal.

By the schedule of D. M. & V. R. R. that went into effect on Monday the 8th there is no connection made with the M. D. & V. R. R. for Milton by the various noon trains at Ellendale. Milton gets no noon mail and there is no mail agent on the noon train. The sack containing the Philadelphia dailies is thrown off at Ellendale and if the train is behind time for Milton it is put on and we get them. By the new schedule there is six minutes difference in the arrival of the noon trains at Ellendale, and it looks like a species of contrariness on the part of the railroad officials, that this should be as it is. Milton is the only place hurt on the route by the arrangement, as we get only one mail a day and that at 8.15 p. m. And Milton is the best paying station the M. D. & V. has on its route. There is more freight goes from Milton, and more freight received here than at any other station between Lewes and Love Point; also more passengers go and come.

The past week has been a smoky season in town. The inexorable leaves are still the bugaboo and the burning goes on. Mrs. Hemans wrote: “Leaves have their time to fall,” and many of our industrious sweepers are wishing that “leaves might have their time to stop falling.” A few fierce northwesters will denude the trees and send the leaves away. We shall have them ere long.

Charles Conrad is painting the front of Harry Robinson’s restaurant and pool room.

Captain James Scull has raised a part of a story on his residence at Scull Town.

Dr. Roland Jones of New York has been visiting his sister and brother-in-law, Mr. and Mrs. A. C. Raught.

The electric light company has been putting up other poles and rearranging wires in the burnt district the past week.

A Mr. Carter and family have removed from Wilmington to a point near Milton.

J. P. Davidson and J. A. Betts are finishing up a steam launch for Lewes parties.

Harry Owens, station agent for the M. D. & V. R. R. Co., left on Friday for a visit in New York, and will return on Wednesday. During his absence W. E. Tarr of Winchester, Md. has charge of the station.

Town Supervisor Mustard is suffering with gatherings on two of his fingers.

Captains Frank Lacey and George Hunter have abandoned “the life on the ocean wave” and purchased a horse and buggy each. They propose to drive her, let the wind be where it may.

A Bishop’s Chair has been presented to St. John Baptist P. E. Church by the Ladies Auxiliary, in memory of the late Bishop Coleman.

Nathaniel Lank and daughter Miss Lizzie were the guests of Dr. J. A. Hopkins and family last week.

Thomas Spencer, after having been in charge of the William H. Chandler farm for many years, will remove the coming year to the farm of John T. Wilson nearby.

H. K. Wagamon has bought the interest of his other brother—John Wagamon—in the roller mill situated on the lake. H. K. Wagamon now owns the whole business.

Rev. A. C. McGilton, wife and daughter Naomi spent a part of last week visiting friends in Denton, Md.

Emma M. J. Walls, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. George Walls, died in Georgetown on Friday of brain fever, aged 3 years and 9 months. The funeral was held at the M. P. Church in Georgetown on Sunday afternoon by the Rev. Perry and burial made in the Union Cemetery by S. J. Wilson & Son.

James L. Craig died Saturday evening in Coolspring of pneumonia, aged 74 years, 10 months and 5 days. Funeral at White Chapel on Tuesday afternoon by the Rev. […], and interment made in the nearby cemetery, by S. J. Wilson & Son.

The good weather still continues and the necessary work of the town is being rushed forward with all speed and expedition. The writer’s grandson has the chicken pox now, and like everything else he has, he has this to perfection. He has about run the gamut of diseases that children are heir to. I have told him I’m going to hate the mumps sent to him next and let him get through with all the diseases. The write has been nursing a sore throat since Sunday and has not had his usual chance to lead up with news. Besides my secretary is in Philadelphia and no one knows how valuable these little girls are until they leave temporarily.

J. H. Welch left on Wednesday morning for Wilmington as representative of Golden Rule Lodge No. 17, I. O. O.F.[i]; and from there will go to Philadelphia to attend the Laymen’s missionary to be held in that city. John H. Davidson will attend in a private capacity.

Miss Lottie Welch will start on Friday for an extended visit to Philadelphia.

Rev. Martin Damer, formerly rector of St John Baptist, Milton, has accepted work as assistant in Trinity Parish (Oxford), Philadelphia, and has been transferred to the Diocese of Pennsylvania.

Charles Virden is having another pump driven at his lumber and cold yard on the dock.



[i] International Order of Odd Fellows