July 1, 1910

An editorial in the Chronicle of last week relating to the “incorporated limits” of Milford [….] that the population of that city would be more were the “incorporated limits” where they should be, and the population would show more numerically in the census report. Similarly would Milton. Just across the State road at the end of Milton Lane, or the limit of north Union Street and Mulberry Street are two small collections of houses which for the purpose of correspondence we have named “Stevensonville” and “Heavelow.” The latter place is populated altogether by colored people. Now had we been permitted to have included the enumeration of these people with those of Milton, we could have increased the population of our town about two hundred. These places are just far enough away to be out of the town limits, and were enumerated with the rural district.

We are glad “Paul Pry” took it all back last week. We knew he didn’t mean it about his pretty Ellendale. Couldn’t.

The chug holes mentioned in our last letter have been filled up, on Federal Street, a crossing has been laid of brick on Chestnut Street, between Wharton Street and Manship Avenue, and one also on Front Street, near the dock, crossing Walnut Street.

Jesse Mason of Prime Hook has been hauling a large lot of early Irish potatoes to the Milton Station and shipping them north.

William Mason, who unfortunately broke his ankle some time ago, is able to hobble around on crutches.

The pea season ended at the Royal Packing Company’s establishment last week.

Frank Outten is repainting C. G. Waples’ store house.

Several of Milton’s citizens in the lower part of the town have got the “June drop.”[i]

James Ponder, attorney-at-law of Wilmington with his wife and son were registered at the Hotel Jester last week.

Chas. E. Thackeray has opened up his hardware store in one of the rooms in the Palmer Block.

Miss Lillian Aker, who taught one of the Milton schools the past term, has secured a school for the coming school term at Wyoming, Del.

John Ponder lost a valuable horse, a short time ago.

William H. Chandler of Scranton, Pa., has been a town visitor.

Frederic Ellingsworth of Philadelphia is visiting relatives and friends around Milton.

Miss Nora M. Calhoun, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Edward Calhoun of Chestnut Street, and Joshua B. Massey of Indan River, were married on Wednesday evening of last week. The ceremony was performed by the Rev. I. F. Lusk at the M. E. Parsonage on Federal Street, The bride and groom lift town on the following morning for the home of the groom.

Children’s Day services were held at Weigand Chapel on Sunday afternoon.

Miss Florence Johnson has returned from a visit to Philadelphia and Atlantic City.

Robert Hazzard, wife, and son of Wilmington were entertained last week by his mother.

Schooner Sand Snipe[ii] is at Milton dock having her rudder repaired.

A Baltimore workman representing the Pittsburgh Plate Glass Company was in Milton last week assisting in putting the glass in the front of the Palmer Block.

Charles F. Holland Esq., lately retired judge from one of the districts of Maryland, visited his nephew the Rev. Frank Holland last week. Judge Holland is familiarly known to many people, having been born and raised near the town.

Thomas H. Douglass has had some repairs made to the sidewalk of his property on North Union Street in tenure of John Crouch and John Megee.

Milton School Board met on Thursday night and elected the following teachers for the coming school term: Principal, Ernest McCabe, Deputy of Lincoln; 1st asst., E. W. warren of Milton; 2nd asst. Miss Myra Shearer of Hurlock, Md.; 3d asst. Miss Mary Hardesty of Seaford; primary department, Mrs. Stella Bacon of Milton.

A school election was held on Saturday afternoon in the consolidated school districts of Milton to elect three commissioners for three years to succeed John H. Davidson, Peter F. Welch and S. K. Black, time expired. There were three tickets in the field, much interest manifested and 124 votes were polled. The following were chosen: J. M. Lank, Charles E. Darby, and William B. Naller. The newly elected members met with the old ones on Monday morning and perfected an organization by electing Thomas G. Douglas president, H. C. Lank, Secretary, and Charles H. Davidson, treasurer.

Beginning on next Sunday the M. E. Sunday Schools will hold its services in the morning at 9 o’clock instead of in the afternoon as heretofore. This experiment was tried last summer but a sufficient attendance could not be gathered for a school and the management was compelled to go back to the former time.

An unusual exodus from Milton occurred on Monday morning: Rev. I. F. Lusk went to Providence, R. I., Mayme Conner went to meet her sister in Philadelphia; Miss Estella Virden started for Box Elder, Wyoming; and Misses Elsie King, Emma Smith, Edna Gray, Hester Derrickson, Ralph Smith, and Theodore Johnson went to Dover to attend the summer school—or “school of methods.” If every town in the state is represented numerically as well as Milton at the Dover School, the salaries of the County superintendents will be swelled considerably.

On last Friday morning the bulletins of the weather bureau gave out “there is no relief from the torrid hear in sight, for the next forty-eight hours. But on that morning before the daily papers were read, the thermometer had fallen twenty-three degrees; and, on that day, the next and the next and until Monday the weather was much cooler. This was another”flareback,” presumably, and we have not forgotten that inauguration “flareback” yet.

S. J. Wilson & Son’s concrete building is up to the first story, and the second set of floor joists are on.

W. T. Starkey has a fine pharmacy fitted out, brand new in the Mears building, and will open for business on Friday July 1st.

Rev. Frank Holland left on Tuesday for a short visit in Maryland.

Steam yacht Mare E. Ellicotts, Captain and owner, of Philadelphia, spent Sunday and Monday at Milton dock.

Samuel Bailey lost his trotting horse on Monday by death. No cause is assigned for the rash act.

Ernest Jefferson, son of J. Polk Jefferson, and a member of the mounted police of Pittsville, Pa., with his wife has been visiting his parents.

Marge the 6-month old daughter of Mr. and Mrs. London Nelson died at her home on Lavinia Street on Wednesday of Cholera infantum. Funeral services were held at her late home on Friday morning by the Rev. D. J. Blackston and the remains interred in the A. M. E. Cemetery by J. R. Atkins.

Jacob Pettyjohn, for many years an employee of the P. W. & B. R. R. Co., died at his home in Wilmington on Friday evening aged about 70 years. The remains were broth to this town on Tuesday and deposited in the M. E. Cemetery by S. J. Wilson & Son.

Mary W. Maull died at the home of her parents on North Union Street on Tuesday morning, aged 35 years, 6 months and 10 days. Funeral services will be held at her late home on Thursday afternoon by the Rev. Frank Holland and sepulture made in the M. E. Cemetery by S. J. Wilson.

C. A. Conner shipped a car load of 1500 baskets of crib corn to Wilmington this week.

There is a cottage to rent on Broadkiln Beach […]. Nicely […] and will […]. Apply to Mrs. Ida Fox, Milton, Del.


[i] This is a natural phenomenon where apple trees shed some small fruitlets in a process of “self-thinning.”

[ii] The 100-ton schooner Sand Snipe appeared in the news hundreds of times during its working life, most of those mentions on the mundane side (entering port, clearing port, hauling this or that, maintenance, etc.). It was launched and entered service in November of 1882, according to the Wilmington Morning News. The September 16, 1904 edition of the Wilmington Morning News reported that the schooner rescued the only two survivors of the sinking of the tugboat Israel W. Durham.